Everyone has times of feeling low, sad or upset - it’s a normal human experience. However, significant levels of depression affect 20% of adults in their lifetime (www.blackdog.org.au).
Depression is different from a short period of unhappiness and may include:
Feeling down for several weeks
- Losing interest in activities usually enjoyed
- Changes in weight
- Tearfulness, anxiety
- Physical fatigue
- Disturbed sleep
- Feeling worthless, guilty or self critical
- Lack of mental focus
- Thoughts of suicide
Suffering from depression can be a debilitating experience, affecting our physical, mental and emotional health, our work, relationships and spiritual well-being.
Salvos Counselling understands the way depression interferes with an enjoyable, productive life. Treatment is tailored to individual needs, helping people explore purpose and meaning in life along with practical steps for taking positive action and coping with distressing thoughts and feelings. Counselling will give you lasting life skills for well being and resilience.
Types of Depression:
- Major or clinical - experiencing at least 5 of the symptoms for over 2 weeks.
- Bipolar disorder - alternating between feeling low and feeling elated, manic.
- Post Natal - affects 10% of women after the birth of a child.
- Mixed anxiety/depression - high levels of anxiety alongside feeling low.
- Psychotic - depression with intrusive irrational or delusional thoughts and hallucinations.
Depression can be effectively treated either by counselling and psychological help alone, or in combination with medication. Many people suffering from depression find the support and healing they need through counselling.